The New Year is a great time to make changes in your life. From beginning a steady gym routine to clearing up extra space in your home for you. One change you may want to make this year is to clear out areas of your home. Too much clutter and stuff will not only take up precious space in your home, but it can also leave you feeling stressed.
When you minimize areas of your home, your space will feel larger thereby allowing you to relax. Here are some tips to help you minimize in the New Year.
How to Minimize in the New Year
- Go room by room – The best way to go about decluttering your home is to take it one room at a time. This can help ease that “it’s all too much” feeling. Start with the easiest room and work your way up.
- Sorting Piles – Have three containers that go from room to room with you. These are the three piles you will want to make.
- Keep – Everything that goes in the keep pile should have a purpose and a specific space in your home.
- Throw Away/Donate
- Storage – Your storage pile can be things you don’t need on a day to day basis but you are not ready to throw away yet. Be sure to go through this pile and clean it out every six months.
- Make Some Money – If you have a lot in your throw away/donate pile you may want to consider having a yard sale. Just be sure you can set this up quickly so that pile doesn’t sit too long in your home. If you keep it there things will migrate back into your home.
- Give Everything a Place – Everything you keep should have it’s own place. Set up some organization area with shelves and baskets. If you don’t have space for everything you may need to reconsider what you are keeping.
- Commit to Less – Now that you have cleared out your home, commit to buying less. Only buy what you truly need or things that really give you pleasure. It can be easy to go out and buy more stuff to fill the holes. Remember all the hard work you just did to clear out your space and commit to less stuff in your life.
If you are ready to commit to decluttering your home and life this year the team at Abba Storage can help. We have a variety of storage options to suit your needs and store those items until you are ready to use them or part with them.