If you’re like most small business owners, there’s a good chance you have a lot of files. After all, each supply order, receipt, estimate, and client record must be accounted for. Add all of the records you need to keep the town and tax man happy, and you probably feel buried by a mountain of paperwork. Sitting in a file room can often make it worse, especially if it isn’t big enough to store everything. When that happens, maybe it’s time for some commercial storage space. Having the files you don’t need everyday, but must still keep, stored offsite will reduce the clutter of your workplace.
Need more convincing? Having your documents separate from your workplace can reduce worker stress and help you stay organized. Plus, it’ll give you space to add an employee or just have a more pleasant environment.
What to put in storage
Once you’ve gotten to the place that document storage is needed, it’s important to decide what to store offsite. Here are a few options geared for business owners.
- Employee benefit records
- Old tax returns and documentation for seven years
- Client Files
- Personnel files
- Small Business Documentation
- Education Certificates and Paperwork for you and your employees
Off-site record storage can be useful for any type of excess paperwork that you just don’t have the space for at the office. This space doesn’t have to be fancy, just secure.
The Best Kind of Document Storage
While there is some debate about the best place to store documents, for each individual business owner it’s generally the place they’ll use. In particular, you shouldn’t choose a facility that is a long distance from your place of business, as this discourages you from accessing it. For most small business owners, a self-storage unit is a great option for record storage. Self storage facilities like Abba give you easy access to your storage unit when it’s convenient for you. Not only that, but we boast an excellent security system which ensures your documents are safe. With self storage, you’ll generally save money over other common options such as renting more office space or adding to your home. Plus, you can always get another unit as your needs grow.
How to Store Your Documents
Now that you have somewhere to put those documents, here are some tips on getting the most out of that extra space.
- Make sure everything is organized, then place them in file boxes or storage containers before placing them in the storage unit.
- Consider investing in plastic or metal shelving units and place those in your unit. This helps by keeping those boxes or containers off the floor, and makes them easier to reach.
- Make the important files easier to access by putting them near the front of your unit. Less important files should be put in the back.
- Map out the location of your file boxes. This way, it’ll be easier to find what you need.
- Label each box or container with its contents so you won’t have to guess what is inside.
These tips can help you get the most out of your document storage.
If you are looking for document storage in the Concord area, Abba Self & RV Storage is a great choice. We offer units of all sizes to suit your needs inside a secure environment. Contact the experts at Abba Self & RV Storage today and start getting your paperwork organized.